Thursday, October 31, 2013

Here we go again...

So this, apparently, was a thing:


Every few months this issue seems to rear its head again. Some well-meaning individual decides that young women must be woefully uniformed about sexual violence in our society. The same individual believes that alcohol is the primary vehicle for making young women vulnerable and they would do best to avoid it or minimise its use.

As anyone who reads this who knows me probably should know, I have been embarrassingly, ridiculously drunk in my time. I have blacked out with a faint impression of standing on a table in a Sydney karaoke bar singing “Total Eclipse of the Heart” as if my life depended on, only to wake up in a King’s Cross backpackers with no wallet but a monster hangover indicating the likely location of my now missing funds. I drank enough at an art gallery opening that I became completely suggestible and at the urging of my mischievous co-drinkers interfered with artworks before getting lost in the city and getting cabs home with strangers, and got motherly advice from a Taxi Driver to “drink a glass of water”. I’ve developed infernal concoctions of Malibu and Tequila that lead me to giving prized possessions away to strangers. I’ve used my martini making skills to run a bar only to wake up the following morning with a black eye bad enough that I spent Christmas eve in a hospital. I’ve met random travellers, sang to piano players, gotten lost, kissed strangers, swam in fountains, and raised a general level of agreeable mayhem.

Should I have done these things?

My liver probably says no. A number of these incidents could have been worse, and I guess I’ve been lucky, to an extent.

But these adventures have formed the backdrop of my youth (and not so youth). My drunken foolishness made me friends in Japan, has given me great stories and has led me up many wonderful garden paths. My life without these stories would not even be recognisable to me. It might be better, I might be wealthier, but can I imagine my life without them? Not even remotely.

I’m sure that many would recognise their own misdeeds and stories in the list above. And although you might want to edit some of these out, would anyone really want to excise from their life of every night of excess as a method of forestalling the possibility that someone else might choose to do something horrible to you?

Because that’s what we seem to be saying to young women. And we don’t seem to recognise what we’re asking them to give up.

We’re certainly not asking men to give up drinking. Given as they are the segment of the population overwhelmingly responsible for these crimes, that seems a lot fairer.

But instead, we demand that for the sake of their safety, young women forgo what is, for good or ill, a major part of Australian identity; our drinking culture.

This is done, because rape is an inevitable and unavoidable part of society, or so the story goes. Because warning women about rapists is the same as warning people about sharks; they are just part of the backdrop of our lives.

Firstly, does anyone really believe women don’t know this? Women, in my experience, are aware of the limits to their safety in a way I have never had to consider. Women know the risks, and they make calculated choices on the basis of that risk. If I had to choose between a life of stories and avoiding that risk, I doubt I’d choose the safer choice. Of course, I’ve never had to, and that's the point.

And of course, the other thing a woman has to consider is that they face the risk of sexual assault if they go to work, if they go to school, or in a disturbing number of cases, stay at home. So given as the risks exist, why not enjoy what they can?

Lots of people have made the point, better than I, about how telling women to be the source of control normalises rape culture. What I wanted to raise, was what we ask women to do when we state that their only chance of being safe comes from renouncing all excess. It’s not just swimming between the flags; it’s giving up on the ocean. A choice they shouldn’t have to make.

PS. I've been out of the writing thing for a while, my brain is full of study nonsense. I hope to shake the rust off with this one. It's rushed, so please, if you have criticisms, expansions, counter arguments please post - my rhetorical skills have dwindled arguing only with teenagers!

No comments:

Post a Comment